Wednesday, March 14, 2012

19 weeks and nothing but a bump to show for it


I am now 19 weeks pregnant.  It’s crazy how fast time is flying.  We have not done one. single. thing. to prepare for our baby and we’re almost to the halfway point.  Should I be concerned?  Because I’m starting to feel a bit panicked.  I have been reading up on how big the baby is (a large heirloom tomato this week!) and how s/he is developing each week.  But that’s it.  I have no real knowledge of what to expect in the third trimester or what labor is like or how to even tell if you’re in labor.  And I especially have absolutely no idea what to expect when the baby actually arrives. 

Of course, I know some things.  You know, the stuff I’ve heard from friends or learned from having baby cousins.  Like it’s required that you have a car seat and know how to install it correctly (although I have no idea what a proper fit is or how to actually install it).  Or that the baby will need to eat about every 2 hours in the beginning.  Or that I will be majorly sleep deprived for the first 3-12 months.  But I don’t know how to give a baby a bath or how to use a breast pump or even how to change a diaper.  All this to say that I’ve got a lot to learn and I feel that it’s best not to wait until the last minute.  


You see, I’m an excellent procrastinator.  And it’s not because I don’t want to learn about this stuff or put together a nursery, it’s just that I have a hard time getting around to stuff that’s not immediately pressing and since the baby’s not due for another 4 ½ months, my instinct is to think that I’ve got plenty of time to get around to all of this.  Plus, I’m usually much more efficient under pressure. 

However, my smarter side (yes, I have one!) has learned through years of experience that this is not the most stress-free way to live.  Take my wedding for example. 
Best day ever!
It was an absolutely fabulous day that I wish I could re-live again and again.  But the days leading up to the big day?  Totally frantic, sleepless, and chaotic as we rushed around trying to get everything ready in time.  There was no sitting around with my feet up, sipping a cocktail and looking forward to my honeymoon.  

 In fact, I didn’t even pack for our honeymoon until the day after the wedding which was also the day we were flying to Europe for 2 weeks.  I finished packing my suitcase ~15 minutes before we had to rush to the airport and because I’d done it so fast, I had absolutely no idea what was even in my suitcase.   Yes, everything ended up being fine, my wedding day was a dream come true, and I had all the clothes I needed for a fabulous honeymoon adventure. 
Mykonos, Greece
But the same thing could have happened with a whole lot less stress.  And that is precisely what I’m determined to avoid this time around.   I have no excuse not to be ready for our baby's arrival as I’ve had plenty of advance notice of his/her impending arrival and I’m fortunately feeling well enough to be productive. 

So, by publicly stating my intentions here, I’m hoping to feel somewhat held accountable by you all to stay on top of my super long list of things to do and to actually be ready for our baby by the time s/he arrives.  First up…tour the hospital where I’ll be delivering, scour Craigslist for cheap furniture, and research strollers and car seats.  I’ll keep you posted on how it goes!

Wish me luck,
Bridget

3 comments:

  1. It will be fun setting up the baby's room...provided you have one to fix up. Either a new house or turning the office into a bedroom....but then, where to put the computer's, etc. Decisions, decisions, decisions. This one is better NOT left to the end. No pressure though !! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You guys are so cute!! I will send you the list of baby items I send to all my pregnant friends. I am a notorious planner so, yes, I made a spreadsheet of everything we needed. I did tons of research on strollers and carseats and have even dded to the list now that I know what things we would buy again and what was a waste of money. The book " baby bargains" was also very helpful. Good luck and glad you feel well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! Sarah, I already sent her the spreadsheet...:) And Baby Bargains. Because, of course, I'm a planner too. So Bridget, just ask and you shall be told whatever you need!

    ReplyDelete