Thursday, April 12, 2012

22 weeks, 1 day, and 10 hours

posted by Maureen


That's how pregnant I am right now. 

I always find this whole counting-each-week-as-it-passes thing to be sort of funny/strange. I mean, when else in life does a person literally count life week by week for 40 whole weeks? Did you know that the 4th of July is 12 weeks away? Or that Thanksgiving is 30 weeks from now? If you're pregnant and expecting a baby around then, you probably do. If you're like the rest of the population and don't speak Pregnant, you use a more normal convention called months. 

Months are nice and easy. They don't require you to do the math to figure out that, say, 34 weeks is actually 8 and a half months of time (which I have to admit just took me way too long to figure out in my head...) And honestly, I think tracking life week by week actually makes time fly by faster.

Now, of course, I get why each week matters. So much is changing with both me and the baby so frequently, that just tracking the months isn't enough. So, yes, I speak Pregnant now. It's a bit of a different language, where I catch myself saying things that I used to find funny like "we're pregnant" (umm...not exactly possible) and find myself talking about things I've never thought much about before like doulas, breast pumping, Braxton Hicks contractions, and Rh compatibility. I'm telling you, it's a whole new world.

So,  yes, I have now found myself being that person that excitedly tells Dan's 25 year old male co-workers that "I'll be 23 weeks in 6 days!" when they ask how far along I am. I definitely forget that everyone else isn't speaking the same language as me these days. So, for those of you that still use months and don't feel like doing the math, I'll give you a break and tell you that I'm 5 and half months along now.

And I'll also stop the rambling and give you a belated Halftime Report!

I reached the official halfway point in my pregnancy two weeks ago. And right around that time I felt the baby kick for the first time. Definitely one of the coolest pregnancy moments to date. Our little tiny one is quite the kicker now, and I feel it all the time. I tell my dad, who is a big-time hockey fan and has his fingers crossed for a future hockey playing grandchild, that the baby is practicing it's slap shots all day long.

We had our 20 week ultrasound at the end of March and got the great news that the baby looks great and everything is going smoothly so far. We also got this amazing ultrasound photo of our tiny one. 


I've seen these 4D ultrasound photos of other people's babies, and have often thought that they are definitely super cool, but that the babies can look somewhat alien at times (since they're still becoming babies and all). Of course, I find this particular photo entirely adorable and can't get enough of it. I guess it's different when it's your own :)


And since I love a good before and after, here's a shot of me at about 2 and a half months along: 

Yes, I might just be sucking my tummy in a bit here. Gotta look good while I still can!
And now here I am at 5 months, aka 20 weeks:



Gotta love that model pose. Dan says I smile the same way in all my photos, and I should change it up a bit. So this was my attempt at "sort of smiling" instead of just "full on smiling". Stay tuned as I continue to practice more interesting faces to make in photos. 


Also, stay tuned for a real up-to-date photo of me at 22 weeks. My belly has actually popped big-time in the past two weeks, but I can't show the latest and greatest photo just yet because  I've got another surprise in store. Are you all curious now? Better stay tuned ;)





2 comments:

  1. I'm curious......is it a new hair cut? Or a tatoo? Lol, but super happy you're so happy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! Thanks Delia :) It's a pretty crazy experience, this whole pregnancy thing, but yes- I'm definitely super happy and loving it. Hope you're doing well :)

      Delete