Monday, April 9, 2012

Vacation Recap


I’m back after a longer-than-expected hiatus from blogging.  Sorry about that!  I was sure I’d get back into the swing of things last week once we were home from vacation, but I was sidelined by a huge pile of work that had built up while I was away.  Plus, I came down with the mother of all headaches.  Or at least that’s what it felt like to me.  I’m pretty sure it was the first migraine that I’ve ever had and it was miserable and it lasted for 2 whole days and I couldn’t sleep or sit up or focus my eyes on anything.  Since we didn’t even get home from vacation til Monday, that meant that my week was mostly shot.  So here I am today, finally getting back into the swing of things and feeling back to normal…unless you count my much larger-than-normal belly and the fabulous baby kicks that I now feel on a regular basis!

Since I’ve mentioned our vacation a few times, I thought it would be fun to recap it a bit for you all.  So here’s the scoop on our 2-in-1 vacation. 

One of our very favorite places to go is Park City, Utah.  We love to ski, hike, snowshoe, camp, and explore and this area is an excellent playground for all of those things. 
See?  So much fun!
So we knew we wanted to get back there one last time before the baby is born.  But we’re kind of greedy when it comes to travel and we also knew that we wanted to go somewhere new and different as a last little adventure while it’s still just the two of us.  But how were we going to afford to do both? 

It wasn’t looking good until we found a cheap flight to Utah...cheap because it was 11 days long and included travel on weekdays rather than weekends.  It was way longer than we were planning to be gone, but the flight was also $300 cheaper PER PERSON than anything else we’d found.  So we decided to go for it.  Like I said, we’re kind of greedy about traveling and it’s what we prefer to spend our money on (as opposed to shopping and eating out a lot), so it didn’t take too much to convince us to go for it.  We were able to swing it because the majority of the trip overlapped with Spring Break which is a really slow week for me, work-wise, and Scott was able to work “from home” (aka Utah) for a few days in order to save some of his PTO for when the baby arrives.

But going on such a long trip would pretty much rule out our idea of taking a second trip to somewhere we’d never been before.   And we weren’t about to give up on that (again, greedy about travel), so we came up with the perfect plan.   We’d combine both ideas into one trip.  We’d always wanted to go to southern Utah to see some of the amazing scenery that’s down there – crazy rock formations like hoodoos, slot canyons, red rocks, waterfalls – plus it would be a great way to squeeze in some hiking since we won’t be getting to do that this summer because of my August 6th due date.  
Hiking is one of our favorite things to do together.
These shots are from last summer and show how gorgeous the summers in Utah are!
It’s a straight shot, 5 hour drive due south to get to Zion National Park, so we decided to slip away from Park City for a few days of adventure in a new place that we’ve never been…aka Our BabyMoon!
Hiking in Zion on our Babymoon...more pics and stories to come!

Our time in Park City was fabulous and relaxing.  The weather was unseasonably warm there, and also sunny and dry.  So no new snow and any snow that was already on the ground was quickly melting away.  This did not mean good things for skiing.  Fine by me because I’m on a year-long hiatus from skiing while I bake this bun.  My hubby though was rather disappointed as he’s a bit obsessed with skiing and quite good at it too.  He did get to go twice, though, so don’t feel too bad for him. 

So with no snow to ski or snowshoe in, we had a lot of downtime to just chill.    I got a massage (twice!), did a little maternity clothes shopping, went to yoga a few times, went on a lot of walks, read the Hunger Games, and slept in.  It’s such a gorgeous place, and I feel so at home and at peace in the mountains, so it was just good for my soul to be there. 

Our babymoon was so fun and we took so many pictures that I think it deserves a post all its own, so I’ll save that for my next post. 

Instead I’ll end by sharing my experiences flying while pregnant. 

Observation #1:   I hate having to check my carry-on at the gate because the overhead space is already too full.  The stupid airlines charge so damn much for checked baggage, so everyone tries to carry on as much as possible – myself included.  And for some reason, we’re always in the final boarding group for every flight that we take which means that the overhead space is almost always full by then.  So nearly every time we fly, we have to gate-check our carry-ons.  And I hate having to wait for my bag on the jet bridge after a long flight, especially because I’ve usually got to use the loo by this point.  This is a first world problem, I know, but it’s still a pet peeve. 

But this time! I was clever and found a way around the situation.  All you pregnant women out there take note on what I’m about to share.  When airlines begin boarding, they always call for families traveling with small children and those who require more time to board the plane to get in line first.  And guess what?!?  Pregnancy counts as a reason to board early!  So we were literally the first people to board our flight!  Fabulous as far as I’m concerned as it really did make the whole process easier and there was plenty of room for our bags overhead.  And when our flight landed, I was able to head straight up the jet bridge and directly into the bathroom.  Much needed after a long flight at 5 months pregnant.

Observation #2:  At 5 months pregnant, it is nearly impossible to access anything that you have stored under the seat in front of you.  This may seem obvious to some of you, but it honestly did not occur to me until I was seated on the plane and tried to bend over to get my magazines out of my backpack.    First off, the legroom and seat size is just abysmal, even for me and I’m only 5’4”.  
From a flight last year where we randomly got upgraded to first class.
I can't even reach the seat in front of me!
From last year's return flight home in coach.
I can't even straighten my arms out here!
Secondly, there’s just nowhere for your belly to go when you try to bend forward in a small space, so it’s a good thing that I had an aisle seat because I had to pull my bag out with my foot and then lean out into the aisle in order to pick it up.  If I’d been sitting in the middle, I’d have been totally helpless.

Observation #3:  When the flight attendants announce, as the plane is already pulling away from the gate, that the toilets onboard the plane are broken and they won’t flush, you’re in for a very long, uncomfortable flight.  The flight from Salt Lake City to Chicago is 3.5 hours long and, at 5 months pregnant, I have to pee approximately every 30-60 minutes, so a long flight without functioning bathrooms and without any advance notice is truly a form of torture.  But I made it.  And at least I didn’t have to wait for my carry-on on the jet bridge at the end of the flight.

That’s all for today folks, but I’ll be back soon with Part II of our vacation adventures.  Have a great day!
--Bridget

No comments:

Post a Comment